demonstrate understanding of some of the core ideas specifically as relates to the concept of management.
MSC Engineering Management
Assessment 1 Brief - 0455-560 Management for Engineers
The main purpose of this assignment (assessment 1) is to demonstrate understanding of some of the core ideas specifically as relates to the concept of management.
In this assignment you are required to work individually. You are expected to;
- Write an analytical essay discussing the work of Gary Hamel titled “First, Let’s Fire All the Managers” published in the December 2011 issue of Harvard Business Review.
(You need to focus on challenging your pre-conceived ideas – do we really need managers in an entity or organisation where everyone is highly skilled? – remember than management is not particularly interested in unskilled labour).
- The analytic essay goes beyond simple summary and description. Rather than telling the reader the facts of the situation, the analytic essay demands that you examine information and evaluate it. Put another way, the analytic essay does not simply ask what, where and when; it asks why and how.
- Prepare a paper [not less than 500 words and not more than 700 words] examining the idea behind Hamel’s paper.
The assessment will be based on the following:-
Introduction: Here, you are expected to provide a brief overview of the idea of the Hamel paper and inform the reader of the objective of your paper.
Discussion: In this section, you are to (ii) identify the main/fundamental idea Hamel is advancing (ii) explain to the reader what that idea means (iii) Explore the advantages and possible disadvantages of the idea (iv) Explore whether the idea is reasonable and applicable in practice.
Conclusion: It is also expected that you provide a brief conclusion.
- Each student will submit one paper.
- You must use the format provided (the ARCOM format).
- The length of the main paper should be approximately between 500 and 700 words.
- Referencing should follow Harvard Referencing Style.
- Your submission, of one file, using word, should be to turnitin/safe assign as advised by the tutor.
- The hand-in deadline for this assignment is TBA.
- Please see the formatted paper which you MUST use to format your submission. Wrongly formatted papers will not be assessed.